South African Airways acting group CEO Matshela Seshibe has been suspended from his duties pending the outcome of an internal investigation, reportedly related to his time as chief executive of subsidiary Air Chefs. However, the airline remains tight-lipped about the reasons for the unexpected move, barely four months since his appointment.
In a statement issued late on August 14, the SAA board confirmed it had placed Seshibe "on special leave with immediate effect, pending the outcome of an internal process".
The board said the decision reflected its commitment to "the highest standards of good governance, accountability, integrity and leadership" and was intended to safeguard the interests of the airline and its stakeholders while ensuring operational stability.
Chairperson Sedzani Mudau said the board would continue to act "decisively and in the best interests of the airline and all of its stakeholders."
To ensure continuity, SAA appointed chief legal officer, Koekie Mbeki, as acting group CEO with immediate effect. Mbeki has been moved from subsidiary SAA Technical, where she had been acting CEO.
Whistle-blower allegations at Air Chefs
In a statement to The Sunday Times newspaper, Seshibe said: "I am aware that SAA is conducting an internal process relating to matters arising from my tenure as CEO of Air Chefs, and I have been asked to take special leave while that process is underway."
"At this stage, the precise allegations have not been formally put to me. It would therefore be inappropriate for me to speculate about them or attempt to respond to allegations that I have not yet had an opportunity to consider," he added.
Citing three unnamed sources at SAA, the Sunday Times reported that Seshibe's suspension followed an anonymous whistle-blower report related to procurement and his time at Air Chefs, but this could not be confirmed independently.
Transport minister, Barbara Creecy, told The Sunday Times that she was aware the SAA board was "undertaking a governance process" related to Seshibe. "I am keeping an eye on this process and, more importantly, ensuring that the airline operations remain stable and are not compromised," she said.
Continued leadership instability
Seshibe's suspension follows the surprise resignation of former group CEO John Lamola in April 2026, and the resignation of three board members after the Auditor-General of South Africa (AGSA) issued a disclaimed audit opinion on SAA's financial accounts for the 2024/25 financial year. The AGSA found SAA's financial statements were not a "true reflection" of its financial position, citing incomplete registers, withheld information, and a culture of impunity that allowed employees "to act without consequence".
Seshibe, who effectively stepped in on May 1, 2026, had been CEO of Air Chefs. His appointment raised questions about his lack of airline experience and his previous suspension in 2022 as CEO of the Public Investment Corporation-funded poultry producer Daybreak Farms, amid allegations of authorising millions of rands in irregular payments.
An internal investigation at Daybreak Farms reportedly cleared him of the procurement-related allegations, which were said to have been fabricated. SAA in April said the matter had been "fully considered and conclusively resolved, with the allegations found to be without merit."
- Type
- Base
- Aircraft
- Destinations
- Routes
- Daily Flights