Jetstar Asia Airways (3K, Singapore Changi) has announced that it will permanently retire five of its A320-200s, thus reducing its fleet to 13 units of the type.

According to the ch-aviation fleets ownership module, Jetstar Asia Airways owns eight of its A320-200s and leases the remaining ten, including four from BOC Aviation, one each from DAE Capital, AerCap, and Macquarie AirFinance, and three from unknown lessors.

The Singaporean low-cost carrier will also reduce its headcount by 26%, letting up to 180 staff members go. A furlough affecting the majority of the employees will be extended through the end of 2020.

"Singapore and Singapore Changi Changi Airport remain a strategic footprint for Jetstar Asia and the Qantas Group, and we look forward to growing passenger numbers further through innovation and enhancing the customer experience in the future," Chief Executive Bara Pasupathi said.

The LCC announced the fleet and job cuts as a part of parent Qantas Group's post-COVID recovery strategy, which said it would be grounding up to 100 aircraft for at least a few months and up to over a year.

Jetstar Asia Airways is majority-owned by Singapore company Westbrook Investments, which holds a 51% stake, with Qantas Group holding the remaining 49%. Qantas recently announced plans to sell its 30% stake in Jetstar Pacific (BL, Ho Chi Minh City), which will revert to its old brand Pacific Airlines (1990) (BL, Ho Chi Minh City), while reaffirming its commitment to Jetstar Asia Airways, Jetstar Japan (GK, Tokyo Narita), and Jetconnect (QNZ, Auckland Int'l).